Introducing Sarah Palin!

Thank you Senator McCain for picking Governor Sarah Palin. I don’t know about anyone else but I am very excited about Governor Palin being on the ticket! She is a solid pro-life, pro-2nd Amendment, pro-family conservative. Here is her bio. Here is her Wikipedia page.

Comments

1. Boy did the campaign keep this quiet? Now I see what they were doing yesterday. Gov. Palin is an excellent choice, I’ve seen her on Fox News many times talking about ANWAR and why they need to drill there. Wonder what the dems will say?

2. Great choice! Obama can forget about carrying Alaska now. Palin will get all the pro-life and NRA folks who were going to vote Democratic to forget that now. And McCain says she excels at sports.

3. Way to kill the news cycle for the Dems! Great pick!

4. A gamble for McCain but one that could pay off. But I mean she governs a state with less people than there are in Tucson and has only done so for a year and a half. The least qualified V.P. pick in history, and this after months of claiming Barack Obama is somehow inexperienced.

5. SonoranSam says

Legislature may appoint investigator in firing
    Palin under fire

By SEAN COCKERHAM and WESLEY LOY
    Anchorage Daily News

Published: July 22nd, 2008 12:04 AM

Alaska Senate leaders want an investigation of whether Gov. Sarah Palin pressured and then fired the public safety commissioner because he wouldn’t get rid of a state trooper who had gone through a bitter divorce with Palin’s sister.

“I’m fairly confident at this point that what we’re going to see is the appointment of an independent investigator,” said Anchorage Democratic Sen. Hollis French, chairman of the judiciary committee.

Palin denied any wrongdoing Monday and said she welcomed an investigation.

“I’ve said all along, hold me accountable,” Palin told reporters in Juneau. “And I’m telling the truth when I say that there was never pressure put on Commissioner Monegan.”

The governor said she didn’t think any conversations she, her husband, Todd, or members of her administration had with the commissioner about Mike Wooten should have been taken as pressure to get rid of the trooper.

“The proof is in the pudding,” Palin said. “He didn’t fire anybody. The trooper is still a trooper.”

Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan has said he felt pressured after Palin, her husband and members of her administration contacted him about Wooten. He said he doesn’t know why he was fired but thought Wooten could be part of it.

6. GOP Spartan says

What surprises me the most was how fast the Obama campaign attacked a woman.

Not only didn’t they not hesitate an instant to throw Hillary under the bus, but they are now attacking what appears to be a well rounded woman that is an Army Mom, A wife, A member of the PTA, was a City Councilman and Mayor and has executive experience as Governor as well as experience as Commander in Chief of the Alaska National Guard.

As far as I’m concerned, she’s probably more qualified that Obama, Biden, and McCain.

We’re probably watching the birth of the next Margaret Thatcher and a woman who after that amazing speech will likely be the first female President of the United States of America.

God has clearly guided John McCain in his choice. He is to be credited for picking on heck of a running mate.

While prior to today I might of had to hold my nose to vote for McCain, I will now gladly and easily cast my vote for McCain/Palin!

Barack you blew it, turn out the lights, the party’s over!

7. What is also hillarious is that they went after her for being a mayor of a town of 9,000.

When Obama was in the Illinois State Senate, exactly how many people were in his district? Keep in mind he wasn’t even serving in an executive position.

Does anyone have the numbers for his district? I believe it was District 13.

8. Duke the Dog says

Get ready for “Good morning Mrs. Vice President!”

It ain’t gonna work; it will only push more voters to McCain/Palin.

Barack Hussian and “Say it ain’t so” Joe, do you see that little red light blinking in the corner of your eye?

That’s your political career dissipation light, and it’s about to go out for good.

9. GOP Boomer Gal says

So you guys think being the Governor of Alaska makes her more qualified than a “Community Organizer” ? Hmmmm

10. This is a disaster for McCain. Check out this top of the head review from Jay Nordlinger over at the Corner?

What, Obama doesn’t have foreign policy experience? What’s Palin’s? Negotiating with migrating Canadian caribou?

Obama’s a celebrity? I guess you’re right, although he’s never been a beauty pageant contestant.

Obama hasn’t been in office long enough? If McCain keels over at 73, you’re putting someone in charge of the last superpower who has been governor of a state (and a freak state at that! – that’s a “Simpsons” reference, settle down) for little over a year and a Mayor of a 9,000 person town. I guess the White House *is* the place for on the job training.

Thanks for killing both your arguments against Obama for a desperate gimmick, John!

And GOP Spartan, you are hilarious. You *never* cease to amuse. Your hyperbole is priceless.

11. So, Duke the Dog, by saying this:

“Obama and his cronies are now doing the only thing they can, attack a mother of five.”

You’re saying she’s unable of defending herself? If she can’t take on Obama and Biden, do you really expect her to be able to take on Medvedev and Putin? bin Laden and Al-Swahiri? Or that, because she’s a woman she deserves a pass?

Hillary was a fighter? You think Palin can’t handle herself as well as Hillary?

12. As a Democrat, I congratulate Senator McCain on a shrewd and bold pick that will help to tighten an already close race. A month ago, I told several fellow Democrats that Palin would be McCain’s best choice. By way of explanation, I’ve pasted below comments I posted on R-Cubed earlier today:

This is a master stroke by McCain and we should be concerned. Frankly, the Palin pick was the one I dreaded and I was hoping he would go with Romney.

Palin is a reformer, a TRUE maverick, a lifelong hunter and fisherman, mother of five, star high school point guard and a former TV personality who knows how to impress through that medium. If you just saw her give her initial speech, it was easy to see how she will appeal to both male and female voters. The fact that her eldest son is heading to Iraq and her fifth child (recently born) has Down’s sydrome, also gives her two more fascinating stories to tell.

Obama has been right on throughout this election in talking about change. It is the deep and fervent desire for a break from the past that has energized his campaign and that permitted him to knock off the formidable Hillary Clinton. The McCain-Palin ticket can now tap into that same theme…and not just because of her gender. They will run as a reform team that is aiming to change the way Washington works. Their personal stories are also just as compelling as those of the Democrats, perhaps more so when you consider the day to day terror of McCain’s five and a half years in the Hanoi Hilton.

Do I think that women will follow Palin like sheep, blind to her right-wing views? Certainly not, nor do I think that more than a smattering of Hillary’s voters will now defect to the GOP. However, there is a strong chance that this pick will re-energize both the GOP base and also appeal to centrist independents, especially in swing states like Ohio, Florida, Colorado and New Mexico.

After last night, I am more energized and inspired by the Obama-Biden ticket than ever before. But, we can not underestimate our opposition and the fact that the American electorate still has many tendencies that work in favor of the McCain-Palin team. Thus, I hope that Obama continues to talk about his determination to be an advocate for the middle class and to take on corporatism and greed. Those two emphases, coupled with his common-sense, yet strong approach to foreign policy and national security, will help us to win in November more than anything else.

13. Oh, and DSW, Obama was the representative of 243,000 people, roughly the size of both Chandler and Scottsdale. 9,000 is a little half the size of Nogales.

Obama is also the Senator of state of 12,000,000 people – Palin, the governor of a state of less than 700,000, less than half the city of Phoenix.

Experience!

14. Klute,

How many troops does Obama command as Senator from Illinois?

15. Josey,

You’re going to use the Alaska National Guard as your trump card? Good luck with that.

16. Can you answer the question? Has Obama ever served in a command or executive position? After all he is the top of the Democrat ticket.

17. And let me ask: How is Sarah Palin more qualified than Kay Bailey Hutchinson or Elizabeth Dole or Susan Collins – all Republican women with conservative credentials with loads more experience and wouldn’t need the on-the-job training that Republicans castigate Obama for.

I love this pick more and more.

Especially with Palin’s state trooper problem. What is it about governors from states that start with “A” and state trooper problems.

18. Josey,

OK. Since you phrased the question in the present tense:

Obama commands the same number of troops McCain currently does.

In the past tense, Obama has no command experience. And if we were living in a military junta, that would be a problem. Fortunately, it’s not required, as Clinton’s successful campaign against the Serbian army proved.

19. Duke the Dog says

This is great!

The Dems are in meltdown.

We don’t have to say anymore to justify McCain’s pick. The leftists are doing it for us. They’re on defense big time and they know they’re going to have a hard time knocking this tough woman down.

McCain has stolen the news cycle away from Barack and his Greek Temple speech.

McCain has set the tone going into the GOP convention next week.

The Obama “bounce” will be minimal, the McCain bounce will be huge!

20. Exactly, Clinton was a governor. Obama has only been a legislator and has no executive/command experience.

21. So Duke, I’m confused. She’s a tough woman who we’ll have a tough time knocking down, or she’s a gentle mother of five that we’re big meanies for going after?

You may want to brush up on the term “paradox”.

22. Josey,

Keep trying. You might find a narrative that works.

23. How about this, for starters:

Obama-

gave a speech about fighting corruption with no actual history of doing so in Chicago, a target rich environment.

Palin-

Governor Murkowski appointed Palin Ethics Commissioner of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, where she served from 2003 to 2004 until resigning in protest over what she called the “lack of ethics” of fellow Alaskan Republican leaders, who ignored her whistleblowing complaints of legal violations and conflicts of interest. After she resigned, she exposed the state Republican Party’s chairman, Randy Ruedrich, one of her fellow Oil & Gas commissioners, who was accused of doing work for the party on public time, and supplying a lobbyist with a sensitive e-mail. Palin filed formal complaints against both Ruedrich and former Alaska Attorney General Gregg Renkes, who both resigned; Ruedrich paid a record $12,000 fine. (via wikipedia)

There’s one point for Palin.

24. Klute, I don’t have to search for the narrative. McCain did the work for us. This ticket sells itself. She is a tough women AND loving a mother of five. Talk about a feminist!

25. Well, we’ll just have to see how your anti-choice, pro-intelligent design, pro-climate change, scandal-plagued, lack-of-experience, no-term governor plays in Ohio.

26. And again, I’m just thrilled McCain now believes the White House *is* the place for on the job training.

I can’t imagine a scarier 3AM phone call now than: “The president has suffered a stroke and Russia has just launched an invasion of the Ukraine”.

“Well, um, I know how to get the department of public works to remove a dead moose from main street. Would that help?”

27. Klute, keep going. Please keep writing.

28. OK, how’s this:

Alaska Governor Palin pleased with Obama’s Energy Plan:

This was at the beginning of the month. Ooops.

Now will she be for it before she was against it?

This choice just keeps getting better and better for Obama/Biden.

29. Aren’t both the presumed nominees divorced? Would this be the first Presidental ticket with two divorcees?

30. This is the greatest news. The viscitude of the immediate reaction from Obama is an indication of their deep, deep panic.

Twelve hours before the VP announcement, Barack Obama was talking about how he was going to run a respectful campaign with Sen. McCain on the issues and this morning they were personally attacking and denigrating a sitting governor, mother, wife, Army mom. Barack’s words said one thing last night, his actions this morning belied the truth about him. He talks about reform, she’s done it and he’s attacking her for it.

I agree with Josey, keep writing Klute. Sorry you got outfoxed. I guess the old saying is true: Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill–ironically, that’s a Greek proverb….ironic after Barack’s Greek Column stage speech.

Excellent choice, Senator McCain!

31. Oh, Crank. Don’t worry your pretty little heads. I’ll keep writing.

More importantly, so will the media.

Cheers!

32. Thanks Buddy, I was worried. I guess we’ll see if it was a good idea or not on November 4th.

33. I got soul says

I am at the convention and you would not believe the excitement over this pick. I have not heard one bad thing said. This coming from RNC members who like to disagree.

34. Kluteous Maximus (ok, it’s not really an ancient Greece tribute but, hey, let me have a little fun).

35. Crank,

No worries. I actually called that by my friends!

Oh, and I didn’t get a chance to say it:

Well done on calling it, Sonoran Alliance.

36. Hey Klute, regarding your statement earlier. I think she’s QUITE capable of defending herself. Bring on whatever grind Obama and Biden (and the media for that matter) have for her. At least she’s not a big fat phony like Veep Al Gore and his do as I say, not as I do “you all need to use less energy” balshoi. George Bush had it right sixteen years ago with “Bozo and Ozone” Clinton-Gore characterization. Who would have thunk it he was so prophetic.

Now, I know you’re just hoping for a Bentsen-Quayle moment in a debate. And just remember that while Quayle was clobbered by Bentsen for that line (which I’m positive was not unscripted) he did succeed at attacking Dukakis as a screaming raving liberal. So Bentsen’s legacy was a predictable “zinger”.

I can just see the whole exchange now:

Palin: I may be young but I have at least as much experience in government as your candidate Obama has.

Biden: Governor Palin, I know Barack Obama, I ran for President against Barack Obama, you, madam, are no Barack Obama

Palin: And you, sir, are no John McCain

37. GOP Boomer Gal says

Palin was never divorced; is married to her high school sweetheart.

And Klute, in your unfortunate scenario, I believe Palin would know how to contact her Secretary of State and her Security team..Duhhh

38. GOP Boomer Gal,

“And Klute, in your unfortunate scenario, I believe Palin would know how to contact her Secretary of State and her Security team… Duhhh”

And… Obama wouldn’t be able to do the same?

I just want to make sure we’re all on the same page… Either Obama and Palin are both eminently qualified for the office or neither are (strictly based on experience of course – I know you all believe Obama is a crazy secular-humanist Islamic facist taking orders from George Soros or something).

39. Crank,

“George Bush had it right sixteen years ago with “Bozo and Ozone” Clinton-Gore characterization.”

And this served him so well. I remember the 2nd term of George the 1st, those halcyon days when…

Oh, wait.

I’m not waiting for a Bentsen-Quayle moment. I think Palin’s going to be her own woman. Heh.

40. Klute that was a challenging scenario. Question is does this one sound any better to the American people.

A 3AM phone call: “Mr. President, Russia has just launched an invasion of the Ukraine” and Obama is the one answering the phone.

Remember that Bush is NOT on the GOP ticket in 2008. Try all you want to tie McCain to Bush but with Palin on the ticket good luck. She is the un-Bush VP candidate.

41. Josey,

Sure.

Obama first calls a meeting of his staff, orders the military to alert, and then contacts our now non-alientated European allies to organize a NATO response. Quickly, confidentally (as you all so gleefully pointed out, Europe loves Obama).

Incidentally, Biden does the same thing if Obama dies chocking on a arugula salad or something.

42. Man, this keeps getting better.

Karl Rove, earlier this montha bout Governor Kaine from Virginia:

With all due respect again to Governor Kaine, he’s been a governor for three years, he’s been able but undistinguished. I don’t think people could really name a big, important thing that he’s done. He was mayor of the 105th largest city in America. And again, with all due respect to Richmond, Virginia, it’s smaller than Chula Vista, California; Aurora, Colorado; Mesa or Gilbert, Arizona; north Las Vegas or Henderson, Nevada. It’s not a big town. So if he were to pick Governor Kaine, it would be an intensely political choice where he said, `You know what? I’m really not, first and foremost, concerned with, is this person capable of being president of the United States?

Just replace the pronouns and names… Hilarious.

I know a lot of you think we’re panicking because of all the posts. You don’t know how much we’re enjoying this – Palin’s the Harriet Miers of 2008. The question isn’t whether or not she’ll survive the debate with Biden – will she survive of a month of the spotlight?

43. Palin Pleased with Obama’s Energy Plan

No. 08-135

August 4, 2008, Fairbanks, Alaska – Governor Sarah Palin today responded to the energy plan put forward by the presumptive Democratic nominee for President, Illinois Senator Barack Obama.

“I am pleased to see Senator Obama acknowledge the huge potential Alaska’s natural gas reserves represent in terms of clean energy and sound jobs,” Governor Palin said. “The steps taken by the Alaska State Legislature this past week demonstrate that we are ready, willing and able to supply the energy our nation needs.”

In a speech given in Lansing, Michigan, Senator Obama called for the completion of the Alaska natural gas pipeline, stating, “Over the next five years, we should also lease more of the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska for oil and gas production. And we should also tap more of our substantial natural gas reserves and work with the Canadian government to finally build the Alaska natural gas pipeline, delivering clean natural gas and creating good jobs in the process.”

Governor Palin also acknowledged the Senator’s proposal to offer $1,000 rebates to those struggling with the high cost of energy.

“We in Alaska feel that crunch and are taking steps to address it right here at home,” Governor Palin said. “This is a tool that must be on the table to buy us time until our long-term energy plans can be put into place. We have already enjoyed the support of Alaska Senator Ted Stevens, and it is gratifying to see Senator Obama get on board.”

44. duke said:Obama and his cronies are now doing the only thing they can, attack a mother of five.

Never stopped the GOP from attacking a mother of two who is not running a campaign. So sad. You say don’t attack the poor hapless woman. Geez, I hope Bin Laden knows that.

45. Aw man, mp85226… You beat me to it. I had this at comment 26, but they didn’t un-moderate it yet.

46. The fact that there are this many comments shows why this nominee, Sarah Palin, is the right choice. Unfortunately for Barack Obama, Joe Biden is about fresh as a day old donut. As for his Nancy Pelosi Catholicism, this Catholic gal prays he goes to confession regularly or he’s got a whole heap of sinful support of abortion to atone.

47. Klute

They must not like you, my comments aren’t moderated (yet)

48. George Bush did not have a second term. I did not say that he had a second term. He didn’t have a second term because of two things: 1)”read my lips, no new taxes” 2) “we’re not in a recession” “we’re not in a recession” “we’re not in a recession” “the recession is over”

He was, however, quite prophetic with his Bozo and Ozone, on both counts actually. Gore got a Nobel prize for being “Mr. Ozone Congeniality” even while he spends $2400 a month on electricity for the glass house he lives in where he spends his time throwing stones.

I can’t wait for a Biden Palen debate.

As for Palen’s lack of international experience, she is governor of a state that is larger than many countries and that is very, very, very close to Russia…go visit Sitka sometime to see their heritage. Ever seen the Roman candles they are shipping to Fort Greeley to protect against ICBMs? She is chief executive of a diverse economy that oil is a big component of.

Domestic issues? Ever been to Denali? Huge natural conservation area. Ever heard of the Fairbanks quake? 8.4, the year she was born. You figure they have a lot of disaster preparedness there? Keep telling us how “unqualified” she is.

49. BSExpress? says

Obama/Biden 2008: One House, One Spouse

Now that’s family values!

50. Crank,

I thought it was obvious where I was pointing out that Bush didn’t get a second term, but…

To your points, I’m very aware of Aleyska’s Russian hertiage, Seward’s Folly, yes, yes. Officiating at St. Yakov’s Spring Fair doesn’t count as sitting across the table from a Russian diplomat.

Tell you what, I’ll concede Palin has the experience to lead the country the exact same time you concede Obama has the experience.

I forsee us in a John Woo-styled Mexican standoff.

Yes, I’m aware of Alaska’s natural beauty, and how Palin’s a-OK with pillaging it for short term gain. I lived through Hurricanes Irene, Andrew, and David – am I now qualified to lead FEMA?