CD-8 Jesse Kelly on Sean Hannity’s Great American Panel

Congratulations to CD-8 Congressional candidate Jesse Kelly for his recent appearance on Sean Hannity’s show.

YouTube Preview Image

Comments

1. Wow, 14% unemployment in the United States? Where’s Jesse Kelly getting his information? Crazy Nowhere Land?

2. Conservative American says:

That is a fair and reasonable question to raise, Klute. The answer lies in the fact that there are about half a dozen different flavors government statistics on unemployment. I’ll post some info and then you can click on the provided link to see some of the various categories for yourself.

“United States Department of Labor”

“Bureau of Labor Statistics”

“HOUSEHOLD DATA”

“Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization”

“[Percent] U-6 Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force.”

“NOTE: Persons marginally attached to the labor force are those who currently are neither working nor looking for work but indicate that they want and are available for a job and have looked for work sometime in the past 12 months. Discouraged workers, a subset of the marginally attached, have given a job-market related reason for not currently looking for work. Persons employed part time for economic reasons are those who want and are available for full-time work but have had to settle for a part-time schedule. Updated population controls are introduced annually with the release of January data.”

“Seasonally adjusted”

“Feb.
    2012″

“14.9″

3. Conservative Railbird says:

The larger question is, why didn’t Jesse Kelly stay in Texas where he belongs?

Con. Am. Bernie (aka Klute a self described word artist)… yeah, his real name is Bernie… doesn’t think that the under-employed and those who’ve stopped looking and those who’s benefits have expired aren’t to be included as “un-employed”

• Conservative American says:

Well, CR, there are 6 ways of looking at it presented on the government website I linked to. Usually, the party in power will favor the lowest number and the party out of power will favor the highest number. That’s politics. However, looking at all six probably gives the clearest picture of things. I certainly don’t think that we can ignore things like those who want full time work and can only find part time work, for example, because that is an accurate reflection of the state of the economy and the jobs picture.

Some also focus on the “underemployed”. I personally know a lot of people who have both experience and advanced degrees who are working at low paying jobs which don’t make use of their skills and knowledge. That’s an important part of the “big picture” too. ;-)

4. Oh, don’t worry Railbird, ConAm has spent a fair amount of time researching me on the internet- he knows my real name.

Unlike the rest of you yahoos, I’m not afraid of people knowing who I am.

But to the meat of it, no I don’t include them in the count, anymore than Reagan, Bush the Lesser, Clinton, etc. counted it in their numbers. – because its unreliable.

By the Jesse “Low-Tax” Kelly standard, I could be disingenuous too and claim the unemployment rate was 4.8 in February. I’d be wrong, but hey, I’ve got numbers to back me up, just like Jesse Kelly!

• Conservative American says:

With all due respect, Klute, what does it say if the Obama administration’s Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, is putting out “unreliable” data? What data provided by the Obama administration can we then consider reliable?

I don’t see the relevance to this of what past presidents have done. This is for voters to come to their own, independent conclusions. That is why the Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, posts the data on a website available to voters.

You’re certainly free to choose any of the figures provided by the feds which you see as most relevant. Others may do the same and may not choose what you have chosen. Since all of the data comes from the same source, I don’t see where all other choices can be proven to be “unreliable”. If one choice is “unreliable”, then all of the data are “unreliable” because all come from the same source and were produced using the same methodology.

5. “Easy there, Klute. You asked where the numbers came from so I provided you with government statistics to show where such figures could have credibly come from.”

And I’m not saying you didn’t. My point, with this statement:

“By the Jesse “Low-Tax” Kelly standard, I could be disingenuous too and claim the unemployment rate was 4.8 in February.”

Is that Jesse Kelly is cherry-picking a number to suit his narrative. Would I be accurate in saying “Hey, the President got the unemployment rate down to 4.8% in February! Huzzah!”? I could sure make a case for it, albeit with a huge asterick, just like Jesse Kelly is accurate, albeit with a huge asterik.

No actual economist would make mine or Jesse Kelly’s point (a point that I’m not actually making, FYI, but this is big boy time and we can speak in and understand hypotheticals) . But Jesse Kelly’s in the business of Jesse Kelly, and he doesn’t have time for a bunch of explanations. He’s running for Congress, for Pete’s sake!

“With all due respect, Klute…”

I’m sure.

“what does it say if the Obama administration’s Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, is putting out “unreliable” data? What data provided by the Obama administration can we then consider reliable?”

I don’t know. I speaks to the enormous nature of the question being asked: In a country of 300+ million people, how many who want to work actually can’t find a job?

“I don’t see the relevance to this of what past presidents have done.”

If Jesse Kelly thinks Barack Obama is a horrible president for unemployment being X%, then similar judgements have to be made on other Presidents, who have used the same agency, where unemployment has been close or equally as high.

“If one choice is “unreliable”, then all of the data are “unreliable” because all come from the same source and were produced using the same methodology.”

I agree. Ultimately, most people will make their choice using anecdotal evidence, and they’re not going to look at the hard numbers. But people like Jesse Kelly will continue to talk down the progress the country is seeing, because people like Jesse Kelly can’t get elected when positivity is the watch word.

• Conservative American says:

I think that we’ve both presented our points well. Readers have enough information to make a decision for themselves. I see no value in continuing on so I’m going to let it go right where it is. ;-)

6. ConAm,

In an unrelated note, did you notice how they tried to modify HB2625 to reflect my HIPAA concerns? I mean, it still got shot down by a bi-partisan group of legislators, but it’s nice to know I’m such a big wheel down at the cracker factory.

• Conservative American says:

Well, Klute, HIPPA concerns are the liberal point of view. One side or the other is going to prevail on each individual issue. That’s the nature of the batlle in the larger war. Don’t roll of a poltical cliff now, Big Wheel! :-)

• “Well, Klute, HIPPA concerns are the liberal point of view.”

So, you’re not at all concerned with HIPAA violations?

• Conservative American says:

Klute, I’m willing to let this go as I see no benefit to readers in continuing on. Readers don’t care about my personal concerns about HIPPA violations. My personal concerns in that regard are irrelevant. Might I suggest that you let it go at this point as well. Shane doesn’t want irrelevant posts or endless “tennis matches” between posters. Okay?

7. Well, I must state, that ” Conservative American” sounds more INFORMED that Klute…..I wonder if Klute and the other gentleman had ever been to a “tea Party”?

I was curious, so I went to one and walked around asking people what was their political party or interest. Some were Independents. Constitutionalist, Libertarian, Republican, Democrat and a few others sprinkled in the function. . Some were young and others were middle aged with a group of senior citizens. There was a mixture of ethnical backgrounds , but they all had one common thread “Taxation with Representation”, the Economy and the negative impact on their lives and livelihood. They also were well behaved and cleaned up after themselves.

• Actually, I was at the second Tea Party (not the crappy one at Tempe Town Lake that no one showed up for, but the one at the state capitol after all the money and promotion was dumped into it by Americans for Prosperity and Fox News). I took pictures and wrote and article for the Huffington Post and got one of my photos published.

What I saw was a polyglot of political ideas, some new, some old (the John Birch Society being my favorite old school throwback). Many people were friendly to me, some weren’t (including my favorite intereaction of the day – the woman who told her teenage son not to speak to the “lib’rul media”). It was mostly white, lots of old people (many with no sense of irony whatever – complaining about Health Care Reform while simultaneously riding around on scooters paid for by Big Government $$$).

Did I listen to what the people had to say? Sure. Did I agree with any of it? Very little.

So, the question I have for you, suan: Was your mind open enough to attend an Occupy rally?

8. Sorry , typo. “Taxation WITHOUT Representation”

• You’re claiming you don’t have representation in the US Government?

Or is your real complaint: “Taxation with Representation that Agrees with 100% of What I Believe”?

Because last I checked, the US Constitution doesn’t come with “Satisfaction Guaranteed Or Your Money Back!” amendment.

9. A while ago in the Arizona Daily Star, it stated Jesse Kellys education as some college, please explain.

• RRowleyTucson says:

He was flunking out of his college back home and his dad didn’t want him at Don Kelly Constructions home in Bozeman, Montana…