A MUST READ: How Democrats Fooled California’s Redistricting Commission

Excellent article posted by the non-profit, independent, investigative journalists, ProPublica. This is a MUST read if you’ve been following the machinations of the Arizona ‘Independent’ Redistricting Commission. If you don’t think it can happen here in Arizona, it already has just like it happened in California. Here is a segment of the article:

This spring, a group of California Democrats gathered at a modern, airy office building just a few blocks from the U.S. Capitol. The meeting was House members only — no aides allowed — and the mission was seemingly impossible.

In previous years, the party had used its perennial control of California’s state Legislature to draw district maps that protected Democratic incumbents. But in 2010, California voters put redistricting in the hands of a citizens’ commission where decisions would be guided by public testimony and open debate.

The question facing House Democrats as they met to contemplate the state’s new realities was delicate: How could they influence an avowedly nonpartisan process? Alexis Marks, a House aide who invited members to the meeting, warned the representatives that secrecy was paramount. “Never say anything AT ALL about redistricting — no speculation, no predictions, NOTHING,” Marks wrote in an email. “Anything can come back to haunt you.”

In the weeks that followed, party leaders came up with a plan. Working with the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee — a national arm of the party that provides money and support to Democratic candidates — members were told to begin “strategizing about potential future district lines,” according to another email.

When they appeared before the commission, those groups identified themselves as ordinary Californians and did not disclose their ties to the party. One woman who purported to represent the Asian community of the San Gabriel Valley was actually a lobbyist who grew up in rural Idaho, and lives in Sacramento.

California’s Democratic representatives got much of what they wanted from the 2010 redistricting cycle, especially in the northern part of the state. “Every member of the Northern California Democratic Caucus has a ticket back to DC,” said one enthusiastic memo written as the process was winding down. “This is a huge accomplishment that should be celebrated by advocates throughout the region.”

(Read the entire article)

Comments

1. Yeah, but in Arizona the parallel is that the GOP fooled the AIRC. Stay tuned to the Arizona Eagletarian for details.

2. Democrat blog-pimping on a Conservative site? If I wanted to read your Liberal Take Steve, I’d go there on my own.

3. Saw this yesterday and am glad it was picked up for AZ readers to know about.

4. Christopher Jacoby says:

I have no illusions that politicians of EVERY party in EVERY state don’t do the exact same thing.

• Just that the Democrats have far more activity in it than Republicans. Stop saying”everyone does it.” It enables the Democrats to scoot free from responsibility for their actions.

This is very planned, orchastrated, practiced fraud involving levels of collusion and conspiracy to deceive.

“Everybody” don’t do it.

• This has got to be probably one of the most idiotic posts of yours wanumba, and that’s saying something.

1. You acknowledge that both parties do the same thing when it comes to redistricting (one only has to look at this year’s Ohio maps or Texas’ mid-Aughts re-disctricting for evidence).

2. You admonish Christopher Jacoby for pointing that fact out.

3. And then you say that acknowledging the fact allows the Democratic Party to “scoot free” from responsibility for their actions.

4. Thus attempting to allow the Republican Party to “scoot free” from responisibility for their actions.

This is why I’ve often accused you of being the recipient of Worst Father of the Year award. My father taught me “that everyone does it” isn’t a excuse for bad behavior. If someone else does something, and I do the same thing, I’m equally guilty – if not more so, because I was taught the difference between right and wrong.

You don’t care that the Republican Party does wrong – you only care that they don’t get blame for it. And that is hyppcrisy of the highest level. But it does explain why you vote Republican.

• Conservative American says:

Wanumba’s post is idiotic, is it? Well tell us your “idiotic” views of the Communist Party, Klute.

• Conservative American says:

Thank you very much for the offer to purchase your book, Klute, but what I was asking about was your “idiotic” views of the Communist Party. Have you suddenly gone mute on the subject?

• No, I’m just not going to be joining you on one of your irrelevant tangents and choke up Sonoran Alliance like you do with True Conservative. Hopefully you’ve hugged out your issues with him.

• Conservative American says:

Correction, Klute. Your position regarding the Communist Party is one which you don’t want to elaborate on because it would fully reveal precisely how far to the left you are and how radical you are. Therefore, you find an excuse, a pretense, to avoid blowing what little cover you have.

I’ve “hugged out” my “issues” with TC and now I’m going to “hug out” my issues with you.

Kisses, sweetheart.

• Number 722,002 of 722,001. Spam filter broken?

• Still’ve sold more books than you have.

• Conservative American says:

So has Karl Marx, Klute. So what?

• The point was that zoo was trying to say the book isn’t selling well, so therefore I should feel bad or something (because I expect a 10 poem chapbook to be able to compete with Steig Larson or Stephen King).

My response is to point out that I’m happy with the sales of the book, and I feel privileged that anyone bought them, either the Nook/Kindle/etc. editions or the paper copies (about 150 at last count), and that zoo should be so lucky.

As for Karl Marx’s numbers, man, I wish I could sell them like him. That communist knows how to sell, sell, sell!

• Conservative American says:

Very interesting, Klute, Tell us more of the virtues of Karl Marx. Don’t be shy now, speak up for your idol.

5. Herein lies the fatal flaw of an “Independent” redistricting commission: It allows opposing parties to concentrate their influence on a smaller target such that the distilled product is anything but the result of a democratic process. We would have been much better off if this entire process had taken place among 90 elected, accountable legislators instead of 5 unelected, unaccountable commissioners. We now see the manifestation of tyranny by a minority (Democrats) majority (3 of 5 AIRC Commissioners). Arizona voters were fooled in 2000 by the passage of Proposition 106. Now we will have 10 more years to live with the results of this very bad undemocratic decision.

6. Randy Parraz says:

If it weren’t for some of those peskie Tea Party types that kept outing our moveon.org activists who were pretending to be ‘independent, non -partisan, concerned voters’ at the public hearings – we would have been alot more successful!

• Fake Randy Parraz,

I love how every thing that a conservative disagrees with politically is part of some grand, overarching conspiracy. It makes me wonder how you paranoid freaks function in society.

“They won’t allow me to substitute hash browns for toast! GEORGE SOROS IS BEHIND THIS.”

No wonder every technological break through these days comes from progressives. All conservatives no how to do is push paper around.

Fake Klute,

Tell us about the wonderul things that the Communists stand for, Klute.

• “Conservatives also know how to keep homosexual “marriage” from becoming legalized nationally. How’s that for a breakthrough?”

Conservatives also knew how to keep inter-racial marriage from becoming legalized nationally. How’d that work out for you?

• Conservative American says:

Liberals also knew how to get homosexual “marriage” legislated into existence in Maine. How’d that work out for you?

• Change doesn’t happen overnight, but it does happen, just like evolution. But it’s working out well in New York, Iowa, Hawai’i, etc. Eventually, bigoted ideas like yours will eventually be defeated, and that’s reason enough to smile on this Christmas day.

• Conservative American says:

Sorry, Klute, but you have it all wrong.

Homosexual “marriage” activists in California vowed that they would keep Proposition 8 off the ballot. They failed.

They said that they would defeat Prop 8 at the polls and were even celebrating victory before the final numbers came in. Prop 8 passed and the homosexual “marriage” activists failed yet again.

Homosexual “marriage” activists got the “Dream Team” to represent their interests. Homosexuals in California are STILL dreaming and you cannot today get a marriage license in California if the applicants are of the same sex. It is illegal.

Homosexual “marriage” activists in California claimed that those defending Prop 8 lacked legal standing to do so. They lost yet again when the court found that those defending Prop 8 in court DO, in fact, have standing.

Homosexual “marriage” activists got homosexual “marriage” legislated into existence in Maine but voters there had the right to initiate a ballot initiative and voted down homosexual “marriage” so quickly that the legislation never even went into effect.

Not once has homosexual “marriage” been put to a vote of the people and passed.

As regards Hawaii, you are, of course, wrong, yet again. Same sex marriage is forbidden by law in Hawaii. Dream on.

Eventually, perverted ideas like yours will be entirely defeated and relegated to the dust bin of history, their fifteen minutes of fame having expired. That’s reason enough to smile every day!

• Here’s why I know I’m right and you’re wrong:

You’re on the wrong side of history, the good guys will win, you’ll lose, and it’s simple as that. The US Armed Forces were integrated before miscengation laws were overturned. The US Armed Forces treated homosexuals with the same rights before the states will.

Suck on that, ConAm.

• Conservative American says:

ROFL! Dream on, Klute, LOL!

You’re on the wrong side of history, the good guys will win, you’ll lose, and it’s as simple as that. See, Klute, your pronouncements have no basis in fact and can therefore be used either way. Now let’s look at the facts.

Despite the best efforts of homosexual “marriage” activists, enough petition signatures were gathered in California to get Proposition 8 on the ballot.

Despite the BEST efforts of homosexual “marriage” activists, Proposition 8 won and homosexual “marriage” was banned in California.

Despite the BEST efforts of the “Dream Team”, homosexuals are still “California dreaming” about being able to legally marry. You can’t marry someone of the same sex in Arizona and you can’t go over to California and get married either. Now that’s progress, LOL!

Despite the efforts of the “Dream Team” to claim that those defending Prop 8 don’t have legal standing, the court found that they DO, in fact, have legal standing.

Homosexual “marriage” activists got homosexual “marriage” legislated into existence in Maine. Voters overturned that law, with a ballot initiative, so fast that the law never took effect. Furthermore, the margin of victory was even greater than it was with Prop 8!

Despite the BEST efforts of homosexual “marriage” activists, they didn’t get homosexual “marriage” in either Rhode Island or Maryland. Gee, what ever happened to “inevitability”?

Voters in Iowa tossed three justices, including the Chief Justice, off the Iowa Supreme Court for legislating homosexual “marriage” from the bench. Gone are those justice’s government jobs and benefits. Gone are their “secure futures” as justices of the Iowa Supreme Court. Ain’t that a shame, LOL!

And do you have it right now, Klute? There is no homosexual “marriage” in Hawaii. Sorry to disappoint you, honey.

Keester that, Klute.

7. Gee, Democrats gaming the system–I’m shocked, shocked, I say!

If you haven’t noticed the same gaming here in Arizona, you’re not paying attention.

8. Mike Triggs says:

No Shane the Arizona voters got just what we voted for. And in the end not a single Democrat or Republican Cpngressman ended up in a district with another incumbent.

9. “…The citizens’ commission had pledged to create districts based on testimony from the communities themselves, not from parties or statewide political players. To get around that, Democrats surreptitiously enlisted local voters, elected officials, labor unions and community groups to testify in support of configurations that coincided with the party’s interests…”

Gee, the same tactic used by the Bruce Merrill / Morrison Institute / ASU / PBS EIGHT / Walter Crankcase Socialist-Communist School of Journalism polling factory. What a coincidence.

10. Sgt. Flapjaw says:

Arguing with these venal leftists on this site is a futile exercise. They are here only to corrupt and misdirect the conversation. I believe that sincere and intellegent exchange can only be restored if we start to talk around these fakers. The “Klutes” [No doubt Jane Fonda Apostles] are openly Marxist and very belligerent, why waste our efforts trying to have a credible conversation on the likes of them? They should drop the phony “Conservative” monikers and maybe they will go back the the Dailey Kos and talk to their peers.

• 1. Klute ≠ Jane Fonda. Check out Wikipedia disambiguation page if you want to know the genesis of the name.

2. Still pushing the Marxist angle, eh, Flappy Jack? Thanks for validating the stereotype!:

• Conservative American says:

Klute wrote: “Still pushing the Marxist angle, eh, Flappy Jack?”

Well why don’t you tell us about your view of the Communist Party USA, Klute. I asked you about it above but you said this:

“No, I’m just not going to be joining you on one of your irrelevant tangents and choke up Sonoran Alliance like you do with True Conservative. Hopefully you’ve hugged out your issues with him.”

Now, however, you’re telling us that Sgt. Flapjaw is laying a “stereotype” on you.

If you want to comment on “the Marxist angle” and call it a “stereotype”, then tell us your views of the Communist Party USA, Klute.

• Sgt. Flapjaw says:

Klute, I really don’t care if filthy Jane is your mama. You are a Marxist and faker. You never address anyone here accept to call names and avoid any reference to what is directed toward you. Instead of answering any questions about your Marxist rantings, you direct people to a silly assed cartoon site written by Marxists. I am convinced that you have been so influenced by your sophomoric learnings, without the ability to do any critical thinking, that you strike out at people because of the lack of respect that the looney left gets.
        The best thing is for others that comment on this site would be just to skip past you [and a few other wackos] and maybe you will go away. Big time politics is no place for a boy.
        I know, now you will write back and say something like “You too Mud flap”!

• Flappy Jack,

1. Thanks for keeping on making the point. Anyone to the left of Francisco Franco is a communist.

2. “The best thing is for others that comment on this site would be just to skip past you [and a few other wackos] and maybe you will go away.”

Comment 1: So, in telling everyone to ignore me, you respond to me. Awesome!

Comment 2: Ask wanumba how well that’s worked. If Shane asks me to go away and not come back, I’ll honor that. And I actually do respond when the conversation calls for it. But when the discussion devolves to:

Me: “Well, I think that…”
          ConAm: “YOU’RE A COMMUNIST!”
          Me: “So, if I could just say…”
          ConAm: “COMMUNIST!”
          Me: “I’m not sure that’s helping…”
          ConAm: “COMMUNIST! COMMUNIST! COMMUNIST!”

I’m going to turn the snark engines to full power. The jackass knows I’m not a communist, but thinks he’s being insightful or witty or something. I don’t know, you’d have to ask him. But my interactions with him will be on my terms, not his.

3. “Big time politics is no place for a boy.”

I’m not sure Mr. “I confuse the terms ‘PAC’ and ‘voting bloc’” should be throwing stones here.

• Conservative American says:

Now, Klute, tell us your views about Karl Marx and the Communist Party USA. You’ve made a lot a noise to distract from that. It just hasn’t worked, honey. So get down to brass tacks now and tell us how you really feel about Karl Marx and the Communist Party USA.

• Sgt. Flapjaw says:

Klute, C. A. does get carried away on occasion, however, you really don’t talk about your political philosophy [other than to hate on everyone else's]. He may just be on to something when you refuse to condem the Marxists. I do believe that your belligerent attitude is similar to that of some of the most viscious and destruction leftists that I have run into.
            Your ilk will allways be resisted no matter how you try to hide obscure the evil that you represent.

• Flapjaw,

See, you were soooo close in eliciting a sincere, non-belligerent response me, and then you had to go and accuse my left of center views, a position held by half of Americans (sometimes under, sometimes over) as “evil”. And I don’t answer ConAm on the question because it shows everyone else that he’s not really interested in a making a point, just jumping up and down shouting “look at me, look at me!”.

I *am* interested in a discussion, in exchanging viewpoints – but again, I treat people as they treat me.

• Conservative American says:

ROFL, ROFL, ROFL!!!!!!!! :-)

I don’t give a rat’s patootie what you are interested in, Klute. But it would be nice if you were open and honest with people about being a Commie.

• Of course you don’t, because you’ve got your weird little obsession with me. Which I’m fine with… Had stalkers before, will have them again, so far none of them have gone Mark David Chapman on me – maybe you’ll be the one! Dare to dream, ConAm. Dare to dream.

• Sgt. Flapjaw says:

Klute, Socialist/Marxist doctrine is evil. Any doctrine that advocates the confiscation of one persons wealth to give to another is evil. I cannot pull that punch. Marxisim cannot survive long without government intimidation and force, it is Totaletarianism. We [this country] are engaged in the war against the one’s who would be our “Overlords” and I cannot parse my words for fear of offending someone.
                When you say that you are left of center, you are claiming a huge piece of the spectrum. The United States Constitution is not the center line, it is the conservative right line. How can you be left of the Constitution and not be a leftist?
                Hence the lable of Constitutional Conservative must be used to distinquish between my fellow believers and say John McCain.

• Ugh, I had a very long response which was just eaten by my incredibly terrible Cricket connection, and I’m not retyping the whole thing.

Let me just boil down the argument to two questions:

1. If you’re a “Constitutional Conservative”, you then must also be claiming the 16th Amendment, right?

2. If so, how is the 16th Amendment, proposed by a Republican Administration, and ratified by the state legislatures of some old-school conservative states (all of the Confederate states – including Arizona! – except for Virginia and Florida) not Marxism?

Also, another question – do you collect any sort of government check?

• Conservative American says:

And here’s a question for you, Klute. Tell us your views of Marxism and the Communist Party USA. From your perspective, is there anything wrong with the ideas of Karl Marx and the Communist Party?

• Well, gosh, ConAm, earlier you said:

“ROFL, ROFL, ROFL!!!!!!!!

I don’t give a rat’s patootie what you are interested in, Klute.”

So, since you don’t care what I have to say, I guess I don’t have to answer.

• Conservative American says:

You never “have” to answer, LOL! Actually, we already know that you are a Commie. It’s just fun seeing you try to pretend that you aren’t, LOL!

• “They are here only to corrupt and misdirect the conversation.”

I don’t think ConAm will take being labelled as a Liberal lightly.

• Sgt. Flapjaw says:

Rob, you are right about ConAm, he seems to make sense and uses intellect to make his points. See you do know the difference.
        By the way, I said Leftists, Liberal is naive and ill educated. Leftists are evil.

• Conservative American says:

Ever notice how it’s the Pinkos who support homosexual “marriage” who have the biggest mouths and the lowest IQ’s, LOL! ;-)

• Ever notice it’s the self-proclaimed “REAL” Conservatives who reply with posts about gay marriage, communists and Marxism? On a article about redistricting.

Come to think of it…that’s all topics.

• Sgt. Flapjaw says:

There are many topical changes that take place through most of the threads on this site. All contributers seem to be guilty of it from time to time. Except for you Rob. You just sit back and take little one sentence pot shots at every one that you don’t like, which seems to be many people.
              You appear to be the Rah, Rah section of the leftist crowd. It’s a good job for you Rob, you don’t really have to know much nor do you have to have much of an idiology.

• “There are many topical changes that take place through most of the threads on this site.”

If they are directly related to the subject at hand, Flappy, that would be great.
                Instead, we’re treated to ConAm’s whiny 3rd grade re-enactments. Which, apparently to you, Flap, constitutes knowledge.

I’m fine with someone going OT to discuss a subject.
                That’s not quite the case here, Flaps.

Though I do understand where your sympathies lie.
                Nor do you need to worry about someone mistaking your blind ideology.

• Conservative American says:

Blah, blah, blah, More whining from Sweet Rob. Go find someone over at the Democrat Party headquarters to hug.

• Conservative American says:

Hey, Rob, stick your whining about being “off topic” where the sun don’t shine. If you can’t take the heat, get out of the kitchen and get over to Daily Kos where you belong.

• Ooooooooohhhhhh….now ConAm’s a tough guy.

Sexy.

*rawr*

Don’t like DailyKos, CA.

Better humor on SA (albeit unintentional).

• Conservative American says:

Tough enough to deal with a wuss like you, Rob.

Now go get yourself a magazine with pictures of football plalyers in swimming trunks to keep yourself up all night… but don’t let your mommy catch you, LOL!

• OOOOOooohhhhh, baby.

You’re internet machismo has me in complete and utter awe, makes my toes twinkle my tummy feel full of butterflies.

I’ve always been in awe of any man who’s so tough from behind his keyboard and an anonymous name.

Why bother with silly, wimpy football guys when I have you to fantasize about?

muah…xoxoxoxo

• Conservative American says:

ROFL! Who is the tough guy behind his keyborard with an anonymous name? “Rob”? Your real name is probably Barbara, LOL!

Now go keester you hamster, sweetheart. He’s missing you, LOL!

And the next time you give me kisses, Macho Man, don’t drool on your leather leather chaps. It leaves stains and all the boys will know that you’re easy.

• lol!

• Hey CA, what is your IQ?

Tell me yours, I’ll tell you mine…

• Conservative American says:

Oh, so that’s how you approach the young men. Start out with “tell me yours, I’ll tell you mine” and end up with “show me yours, I’ll show you mine”. Very naughty, Liberace!

11. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

“The citizens’ commission had pledged to create districts based on testimony from the communities themselves, not from parties or statewide political players. To get around that, Democrats surreptitiously enlisted local voters, elected officials, labor unions and community groups to testify in support of configurations that coincided with the party’s interests.

In one instance, party operatives invented a local group to advocate for the Democrats’ map.”
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Just a topic refresher. The collusion and deceit enaged in by the Democrats should be noted so that no one goes into ANY elections of ANY sort with any naivete as to the willingness of Democrats to lie and get a lot of people to collude in lying.