Arizona’s Roe v Wade?
On Tuesday, the CAP policy team will attend the Arizona Court of Appeals hearing on the 2009 Abortion Consent Act in Planned Parenthood v Horne. This case could decide if there is a greater right to an abortion in the Arizona Constitution than in the U.S. Supreme Court’s Roe v Wade decision.
The Abortion Consent Act, which was signed by Governor Brewer but challenged in court soon after, includes provisions to:
- Ensure that a parent’s signature authorizing an abortion for their minor daughter be notarized before the abortion can happen.
- Provide women with greater informed consent protections.
- Protect health care professionals from being forced to perform abortions if they have sincerely held moral or religious pro-life beliefs.
Guarantee that non-doctors cannot perform surgical abortions.
The Eggsploitation of Women
There are just a handful of seats for Monday night’s screening of Eggsploitation at Arizona Christian University at 7:00 p.m. Immediately following the screening there will be a panel discussion with some of the nation’s leading experts on egg donation:
- Jennifer Lahl, Executive Producer of Eggsploitation and President of the Center for Bioethics and Culture.
- Nik Nikas, President and General Counsel of the Bioethics Defense Fund.
- Brett Harvey, Senior Legal Counsel for Alliance Defense Fund.
Deborah Sheasby, CAP’s Legal Counsel, and I will also be on the panel. To guarantee your seat you must RSVP. We won’t be able to take walk-ups and you won’t want to miss this unique event!
Elections are Closer Than You Think!
Election season is right around the corner – and I’m not talking about the Presidential primary. Throughout Arizona, city elections will be held in August and November. CAP is currently working on compiling a City Voter Guide for Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma, and Prescott, and will post the responses at azvoterguide.com.
But first things first: You have to be registered to vote! June 26 and July 3 are Voter Registration Sundays, and we have plenty of Voter Registration Kits to help you start your drive at your church.
CAP Policy Intern, Michal Ann Morrison, wrote a blog post this week about how just a few votes have made the difference in some very important elections. Check it out; then order your Voter Registration kit here.