JD Hayworth–A Legend In His Own Mind

On CNBC this morning, House Majority Leader and FreedomWorks Chair Dick Armey ripped former Congressman Hayworth.

CNBC’S JOHN HARWOOD: Mr. Leader, let me ask you for your evaluation, having served a long time with J.D. Hayworth, that a) he’s one of the dumbest members of Congress, b) John McCain’s criticism of him is somebody who took too much money from Jack Abramoff and is somehow tied into the influence scandal. And thirdly, his criticism for free trade and of business on immigration.

DICK ARMEY: First off, remember, I’m a free market economist that begins with Adam Smith. So obviously free trade is a position I’m going to draw a sharp distinction between myself and the position taken by J.D. It was my job for eight years to manage the Republican majority. I’ve made this point in Arizona. J.D. had a fairly undistinguished career. I don’t remember a single legislative initiative that he took nor do I recall him actively working on a legislative manner. J.D. was quite an orator. He would take the well and give fairly good orations. But –

HARWOOD: He noted that yesterday he was the first Republican to serve from Arizona to serve on Ways and Means. And he’s saying in his ads and in the town meetings that he helped write the Bush tax cuts.

ARMEY: Well, is that right?

HARWOOD: Yep.

ARMEY: See, I was there at the time, but I must have been busy with something else because I missed that

The House Majority Leader says he “missed” JD having anything to do with the Bush tax cuts.  He also can’t remember JD being of much use in the House but does remember that he could sure  talk a lot and well.  Hmmm…maybe that is where he gets the “consistent” label!

YouTube Preview Image

So, what do people who deal in reality think?

Armey commented on that, too.  Armey predicted a decisive McCain victory on Tuesday, saying

The fact of the matter is that we consistently hear from our ears on the ground, our real activists who are involved is that John McCain cannot be beaten in the Republican primary in Arizona. I think the polling data that the experts from afar garner from it validates the observations of our activists. So I would predict John McCain to win this thing and win it decisively based on the polling data which is the second better source from our people on the ground.”

UPDATE…You may see the entire interview here.  The excerpted dialogue calling the election for McCain can be seen at about   2:52 into the over 5 minute long video.  The section of the interview where Mr. Harwood asks Mr. Armey questions begins at 3:45 and continues as Mr. Armey says he must have “missed” JD having anything to do with writing the Bush tax cuts.

Comments

1. That’s damning video but your article is disingenious. He didn’t really call him ‘one of the dumbest members of congress’ did he? That part is not in the video. I think you slipped that in subliminally. If he said that you should post it – if not then leave it out of your article.

2. Isn’t that the same Dick Armey that said the Tea Party movement needed to be co-opted and taken over by “establishment types”?

3. Dick Armey’s time has come and gone. He is a sellout to the establishment.

4. McCain a liar, Obama lover, Democrat in the real world – a Maverick in his own mind.

5. CharlotteW says:

Dick Armey, another open borders Amnesty promoter. Last I heard from Dickie boy he said Republicans need to get over the Amnesty thing. Well Dickie and Molly No I do not.

Dickie tried getting all the Tea Parties to stay out of the election here, opps I wonder why? Did he know McNasty was going to lose? I am very glad the Tea Parties decided to come out for JD, Molly and her boss McNotNice are both worried now.

6. Jefferson Smith says:

It will be fascinating to read the post mortems on this and other blogs that have “followed” the McCain-Hayworth-Deakin contest. J.D.’s humiliation/loss will be denied, excused and rationalized in so many tortured ways.

McCain is 100% right on one thing, character does count. Go ahead and argue that McCain himself doesn’t have the character to serve. But the one sent against him must have the character to deserve our votes and deserve victory.

Bottom line, hate of McCain alone can’t sustain a candidacy through to victory. You’ve got to provide a credible alternative to “the devil you know.” J.D. is the devil we all know all too well.

The outcome might very well have been different if a CREDITABLE consistent conservative without all of Hayworth’s clownishness and petty corruptions had challenged McCain. Imagine if Buz Mills had spent his $3.2 million (and more) against McCain?

7. Dick Armey,McCain and the other RINOS who rode in on President Reagan’s popularity were never Conservatives. It is time for the open boders group to finally retire.

How is John’s 10 point border protection plan working out for you?
    California has alredy put their National Guard on the border. Where are ours John?

8. “Please, please, let’s learn from this experience. Sonoran Alliance could provide an invaluable service to the conservative movement in Arizona by asking the tough questions about how blind hatred of your opponents and slavish devotion to an unworthy personality is no recipe for success.”

———-
    Ummmm. don’t hold your breath.

9. Jacklyn M. says:

@joanne: Senator’s can’t direct the Guard directly. And the 10 point plan is going well I think. It’s being introduced throughout all sorts of legislation, 6000 troops are in a bill waiting to be approved, McCain said on Barry Young this morning that $600mil was just approved by Obama for border security…

Things are looking up [for McCain]

10. I know that Senators can’t direct the Guard but I don’t hear John asking why they were sent to Calif.first. San Diego has a small border and a fence while we are left open even longer.
    As for the “10 point plan” I will believe it when I see it. As a former McCain supporter all I can say is “been there done that!”

11. I’d still like an answer to my question, about the quote ” Mr. Leader, let me ask you for your evaluation, having served a long time with J.D. Hayworth, that he’s one of the dumbest members of Congress”, when does this appear in the interview? To be clear Molly I think you made it up, and are a liar. Provide the video of that please, and I would happilty apologize.

12. Molly “The Mesopotamian” Pitcher’s very big box with lots of distracting wrapping but only with this single kernal in the middle of it:

“John McCain’s criticism of him”

The CNBC’s hack did the usual lard the question with inflammatory accusations that the interviewee actually doesn’t support.

McCain’s idea of being too noble to get down in the mud. Proxy pig Molly Pitcher does that!

13. Michael Holliday says:

Yawn…

Time for Hayworth to clean McAmnesty’s clock and be done with it already.

I’m getting the 500 ft. McCain Amnesty pinata ready for the coming fiesta feast extravaganza thrash party!

Fiat lux!

Viva la Hayworth revolucion!

14. Ifanboy writes:

“I’d still like an answer to my question, about the quote ” Mr. Leader, let me ask you for your evaluation, having served a long time with J.D. Hayworth, that he’s one of the dumbest members of Congress”, when does this appear in the interview? To be clear Molly I think you made it up, and are a liar. Provide the video of that please, and I would happilty apologize.”

I have updated the post with a link to the entire interview but just for you, here it is:

The section you question can be found at about 3:45.

15. Molly tells no lies!

16. Horst Kraus says:

Klute 15,
    This is a Classic!
    R.O.F.L.M.A.O.

17. Molly I apologize to you

18. I watched the flick, which turned out to be a MSM campaign plug for McCain employing NOT McCain’s positives, but an attack.
    The “hosts” were openly hostile to Hayworth, smirking at the camera, feeding the narrative to Armey.

Even through proxies, McCain just reeks of hatred for Hayworth.

Get a grip, dude. It’s ugly.

19. Jim's Shipmate says:

Today Arizona voter will show how they feel about JD, wait all the voters are just a bunch of McCain proxies. Oh the whole world is against poor JD Hayworth.