Arizona Politics for Conservatives: Sonoran Alliance

« | »

Does This Sound Familiar?

While we’re on the theme of Deja Vu all over again, some of you Arizonans may remember a little budget buster from earlier this decade called “Alternative Fuels Vehicles.” One would think that the brightest minds in Washington, D.C. would have taken a lesson from the past.

Govt to suspend ‘cash for clunkers’

WASHINGTON (AP) – Congressional officials say the government plans to suspend the popular “cash for clunkers” program amid concerns it could quickly use up the $1 billion in rebates for new car purchases.

The Transportation Department called congressional offices late Thursday to alert them to the decision to halt the program, which offered owners of old cars and trucks $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle.

The congressional officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

Through late Wednesday, 22,782 vehicles had been purchased through the program and nearly $96 million had been spent. But dealers raised concerns of large backlogs in the system, prompting the suspension.

(Courtesy and credit to Breitbart and the Associated Press.)

Posted by on July 31, 2009.

Categories: Government, Spending

10 Responses

1. Well, unlike the Alt Fuels disaster, the federal program in question is capped. Given that Congress had the foresight to place a $1 billion limit on this credit, I would say that they did exactly the opposite of what our best and brightest did a decade ago.

Logic fail, DSW.

by Her? on Jul 31, 2009 at 2:44 am

2. I was thinking the same thing DSW. Cap or no cap, folks love to spend other people’s money. Human nature. The really disturbing thing is to see how many car companies and dealers dumped millions of dollars to advertise the “cash for clunkers” program for this weekend. That is real money lost. Also, what happens to the poor soul whose car is to one to bring the total expenditures to over 1 billion. By the time the paperwork goes through, his/her car will have been destroyed and no discount. Brutal.

by nightcrawler on Jul 31, 2009 at 7:32 am

3. So the problem here is that backlog in payments but the program has created a great deal of car sales which no doubt has proven life saving to some of these car dealers.

by todd on Jul 31, 2009 at 8:22 am

4. Capped or not, the House is CURRENTLY voting on giving $2B MORE of your hard-earned tax dollars into others’ hands so they can buy cars for themselves. I fully expect the dolts in Congress agree to give away $2B more of your money. Flake was on the floor just RAILING against it. I wanted to give him a standing O…but his vote for ENDA still gives me real pause.

Todd,
    _I_ need MY money more than does my co-worker who just bought a jeep via the program same with those rich dealership owners. Besides, _I_ earned my money, she didn’t. This program is doing economic violence to me while enriching my co-worker who is better able to afford a car payment. Meanwhile, I struggle to pay my bills every month and have pocket change left over. Forget about trying to pay down my debt or saving for retirement. How is that fair? It’s a reverse Robin Hood scam, giving money to those who are at least rich enough to afford a car. I thought you Dummycrats wanted to give money to the poor? You’re so AMAZINGLY myopic it astounds me how you make it through each day.

I’m sure you’re gonna come back with some lame retort that, “Oh, the program is saving all those poor car salesmen!” Oh, yeah? Perhaps, if _I_ had _MY_ money, _I_ might be buying a car. Yet you applaud the government encouraging economic distortions: money going to purchase good that otherwise wouldn’t be bought. THAT is EXACTLY how the government created the housing bubble.

by Antifederalist on Jul 31, 2009 at 10:01 am

5. I’m not a Democrat, Antifederalist. I am enjoying seeing you get into some class resentment rhetoric. Please keep it up.

As to the Housing Bubble, are you still pushing the line that this is all Freddie/Fannie even though we know that is not what caused the bubble.

by todd on Jul 31, 2009 at 12:57 pm

6. @Todd,

The housing bubble was a combination of government factors. Artificially low interest rates from the Fed, Fannie & Freddie buying private label asset-backed securities based on subprime mortgages to meet GOVERNMENT-set affordable housing goals, the push for the ownership-society by the Bush and Clinton Administrations, FIRREA (the law passed by Congress after the S&L crisis that contained housing language), etc. Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-TX) noted all of this in his countervailing views to a Congressional Oversight Panel report (MONTHS after I said as much) and Rep. Kenny Marchant also finally attacked the government for its role in creating the housing bubble at a recent hearing too.

So, no, it’s not ALL Fannie & Freddie, but they played a role. The government’s fingerprints are ALL OVER the downturn, but the Dummycrats ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to take ANY blame for the crisis. How’s that for honesty and accountability and transparency?

If you’re not a Dummycrat, you must be a socialist of communist because I haven’t heard anything out of you that either makes sense or comports with Republican or so-called “Independent” thinking. I KNOW you’re not a Libertarian. you love Big brother too much to be a Libt.

by Antifederalist on Jul 31, 2009 at 1:54 pm

7. Wow, two Texas Republicans says something so it must be true. Antifederalist, the free market bombed on this one.

by todd on Jul 31, 2009 at 4:56 pm

8. From a Fox News story from yesterday:

“The former head of the Federal Reserve gave a thumbs-up to the cash for clunkers program but said Sunday it is popular only because the economy was on its way back up and not because it was stimulative.

Alan Greenspan said that the program has worked to get people to buy cars and move stock, but he wouldn’t necessarily recommend it as an economic fix.

“It’s an interesting issue. I mean, I have qualms about the concept, but there is no doubt that that very extraordinary response is a very important indicator that the state of confidence in the economy is beginning to pick up. If we had been — the clunker program had been put in place six months ago, it would have probably been a dud,” Greenspan said on ABC’s “This Week.”

by Richard Grayson on Aug 3, 2009 at 8:11 am

9. Todd,
    Yes, the free market played a role in the downturn…AFTER the government provided it with ALL the wrong incentives. I don’t expect you to understand. You’ve said so many wrong-headed and patently wrong things that I don’t expect you to be right any more than a broken clock. You’re one of the few that it’s worthless to have a discussion with. You’re impervious to logic and reason. So, I think this will be my last response to you ever. You’re not worth my time and effort. Everyone can just assume I 100% disagree with everything Todd says.

by Antifederalist on Aug 3, 2009 at 8:23 am

10. About time #9! Whew!

The truth be told, this is a wonderful idea..EXCEPT it was targeted solely at the car industry. INSTEAD, EACH and every taxpayer should have gotten tax relief for the next 6 months or longer and then A/F and everyone else could have bought whatever they wanted and ended the recession. BUT, who wants the recession to end…? just yet? There is SO MUCH WORK YET TO BE DONE TO US.

by Iris Lynch on Aug 3, 2009 at 8:58 am